Tuesday, October 7, 2014

"Oh That's So Cute, I've Never Seen That Before!'

I guess you could say, this is a case of buyer beware. Maybe seller beware would be more appropriate. When starting this new business, I promised myself I would purchase nothing I wouldn't use myself. After 12 years of business, we are well aware you are never certain what will sell and what will sit in the store for ages waiting for the perfect buyer.

I was out with my husband on a trip to Missouri and decided to hit a flea before coming home.  While there, I bought a few things for myself and a couple to put online that I thought were unusual. One of the items bought for resale was a great California Pottery Chip and Dip with Lid. I was ecstatic! I own several pieces of California Pottery in Pink/Blue glaze, this one was green. I knew I would keep it and use it if it didn't sell. I looked online, I was right, there wasn't one like it anywhere. So, I stuck it in my living room to be cleaned and photographed in the morning. The next morning upon re-inspection, this is what I found:

A Chip!! OMG A Chip!! 

Now, remember, being a huge fan of this pottery, I check it over with a fine tooth comb. I flipped it over, looked at all the edges, and checked every petal. Luckily, Derek was there with me and confirmed that there was no chip when we took it up to the cashier for purchase. Obviously, the cashier chipped the dish when wrapping it to go home.  I was so disappointed. Now, I am unable to put it up for market. It will be used at our table this winter for chips and dips and live a happy life among my grandmother's well loved chipped bowls. So, here she is in all her glory:


"Sigh"


Now onto the true reason I am writing this.......


Chalk Dog Eyeglass Holder

I love chalkware. It decorates my walls, my shelves, and any other place I can find for it. My mom started collecting chalk fruit in the 1990's, I was her hunting buddy. Along the way, I realized I liked the funky weird chalk that was of different things: owls, flowers, tea pots, etc. In the last couple years I have moved up to Carnival Chalk which was won as a game prize. My pride and joy is a Carnival Prize Snow White. I traded for her at an antique show 2 years ago and I'm still in love.  

So, when I found this funky little chalk guy, I knew he must go home with me. I thought I would stick him on Etsy before making the decision to keep him. I was sure he was unusual, In all my years of junking, I had never ran across one. I did a search and realized something, obviously, I need to get out more.  There are 11, count them, 11 of these fellows on Etsy alone. So, he is not unusual. This dog was turned into ceramic and made over and over and over again.  The only thing that could work in my favor is that he is chalk. Of course, that also works against me on shipping. Looks like this little feller will be wearing my glasses from this day forward.

Getting ready to put a new item on Etsy this afternoon. Wishing everyone a day of funky junking!

~Mighty Myrtle

Next time on Mighty Myrtle.....Oh Those Hidden Fees

No comments:

Post a Comment