Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Etsy Math

When we started Etsy we were aware of some fees and not others. I surprised after the first sale, Etsy ended up with almost 10% of our asking price. I know, that doesn't sound like a big deal, but we included shipping in our price. After a shipping surprise that I already discussed we ended up with a very little profit and a heck of a lot of work.

We are now going to put this in perspective for everyone:

Yesterday's Post


Sheer Vivid Blue Scarf $5--Free Shipping


So, this is how it all breaks down, if it is sold.

Listing Fee:      $.20 (For four months of listing)
Selling Fee (3.5%):      $.18
Processing Fee For Using Direct Checkout:   $.25
Percentage For Using Direct Checkout (3%):    $.15

Total Taken by Etsy:                                             $.78

It took me approximately 45 minutes to get this post ready. I pressed the scarf and found the best way to photograph it.  Now I have $4.22 left to cover the cost of the item and shipping. This item fits in a standard envelope. I'll be kind and figure it will take just one first class stamp ($.49) to get it to its destination. After mailing this item, if I don't have to relist it in four months, $3.73.

$3.73 to cover cost of item, time spent looking for item, time cleaning the item, and time posting to Etsy.  


I'm not complaining, I just went in blind and want the information available to others. You have the option to use PayPal instead of Etsy's checkout, but either way you have charges.  We will try to keep our prices reasonable and fair. It really makes you appreciate all the work of the vintage ladies on the site when you begin your own shop.

Wishing you all happy junking until tomorrow!

~Mighty Myrtle

Next Post Topic.....Am I Kitschy Enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment